Kung Pao Chicken (Gong Bao Ji Ding)
- 500 gBoneless Chicken (diced)
- 2 tbspSoy Sauce
- 1 tbspRice Wine
- 1 tbspCornstarch
- 2 tbspOil
- 8-10 pcsDried Red Chilies
- 1 tspSichuan Peppercorns
- 3 clovesGarlic (chopped)
- 1 pcsGreen Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 pcsOnion (diced)
- 1/2 cupRoasted Peanuts
- 2 pcsGreen Onion (chopped)
- 1Marinate chicken pieces in a mixture of soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch.
- 2Heat oil in a wok or pan and stir-fry dried red chilies and Sichuan peppercorns for a few seconds.
- 3Add diced chicken and stir-fry until it turns golden brown.
- 4Toss in chopped garlic, ginger, and diced vegetables like bell peppers and onions.
- 5Stir-fry until the vegetables are tender-crisp and the chicken is cooked through.
- 6In a separate bowl, mix together soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and cornstarch to make a sauce.
- 7Pour the sauce into the pan and cook until it thickens and coats the chicken and vegetables.
- 8Add roasted peanuts and stir-fry for a few more seconds.
- 9Garnish with green onions and serve hot with steamed rice.
Kung Pao Chicken, also known as Gong Bao Ji Ding, is a popular dish that exemplifies the bold flavors and enticing heat of Sichuan cuisine. This iconic Chinese stir-fry combines tender chicken, crunchy peanuts, and a medley of vegetables in a tantalizing sauce that strikes a perfect balance between spicy, sweet, and tangy.
The preparation of Kung Pao Chicken begins with marinating diced chicken in a savory blend of soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch. The chicken is then stir-fried to golden perfection, infusing the dish with a delightful caramelized flavor. A symphony of aromatics, including garlic, ginger, dried red chilies, and Sichuan peppercorns, dance in the wok, releasing their fragrant essence.
The key to the irresistible allure of Kung Pao Chicken lies in its sauce. A harmonious mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and cornstarch comes together to create a luscious glaze that clings to the chicken and vegetables, enveloping them in a symphony of flavors. The heat from the chilies and the numbing sensation of the Sichuan peppercorns add a thrilling element to each mouthful.
As the dish comes together, the vibrant colors of the bell peppers and onions provide a visual feast, while the roasted peanuts bring a satisfying crunch to every bite. The final touch of freshly chopped green onions adds a burst of freshness, elevating the flavors and adding a touch of brightness to the dish.
Kung Pao Chicken is a dish that captivates the taste buds and invigorates the senses. It is a celebration of the bold and robust flavors that Sichuan cuisine is renowned for. Whether enjoyed as a comforting family meal or a show-stopping centerpiece at a dinner party, Kung Pao Chicken never fails to leave a lasting impression.