- 2 cupCooked Ham (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cupUnsalted Butter
- 1/4 cupFlour
- 2 cupMilk
- 1/2 tspSalt
- 1/4 tspBlack Pepper
- 1/4 tspNutmeg
- 1/2 cupBread Crumbs
- 2 pcsEgg (beaten)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 1In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- 2Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- 3Add the chopped ham, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg to the saucepan. Stir well to combine the ingredients. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to hold its shape.
- 4Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish and let it cool completely. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- 5In separate bowls, place the beaten eggs and bread crumbs.
- 6Take a spoonful of the chilled mixture and shape it into a croquette using your hands. Dip each croquette into the beaten eggs, then coat it thoroughly with bread crumbs.
- 7Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to approximately 350°F (175°C).
- 8Carefully drop a few croquetas into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning occasionally to ensure even cooking. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes per batch.
- 9Using a slotted spoon, remove the croquetas from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- 10Repeat the frying process with the remaining croquetas.
- 11Serve the croquetas hot as a delicious appetizer or as part of a main course. They pair well with dipping sauces like aioli or tomato-based sauces.
Croquetas, a beloved dish hailing from Spain, are a culinary delight that deserves a special place on your menu. These delightful bite-sized treats are made with a creamy filling and a crispy exterior, making them a perfect choice for appetizers, tapas, or even a light meal.
The beauty of croquetas lies in their versatility. While the classic croquetas are often filled with ham, you can get creative and experiment with various fillings like cheese, chicken, seafood, or vegetables to suit your taste preferences. The filling is typically mixed with a béchamel sauce, which provides a luscious creaminess.
Preparing croquetas involves a few key steps. First, you’ll need to cook the filling ingredients and make a smooth béchamel sauce. Once the mixture is ready, it needs to be cooled and refrigerated to firm up. Then comes the fun part of shaping the croquetas and coating them with breadcrumbs.
When it’s time to cook, deep frying is the preferred method to achieve that irresistible golden crust. The croquetas are fried until they turn crispy and golden brown, resulting in a mouthwatering texture that complements the creamy filling. Serve them hot, and watch as they disappear within moments.
Croquetas are not only a delicious treat, but they also offer a chance to showcase your culinary skills and creativity. Whether you’re hosting a party, enjoying a cozy evening at home, or looking for a delightful addition to your tapas spread, these little bites of heaven are sure to impress.
With their delectable combination of flavors and textures, have become a favorite dish enjoyed by people around the world. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to savor this delightful Spanish creation. Follow our recipe and bring the authentic taste of croquetas to your table. Embark on a culinary adventure with the beloved Spanish bites that promise a delightful blend of textures and flavors