- 4 pcsTomatoes (ripe, cored and roughly chopped)
- 1 cloveGarlic (peeled)
- 1 cupDay-old Bread (cubed)
- 2 tbspSherry Vinegar
- ¼ cupExtra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: Diced hard-boiled eggs and slices of cured ham (Serrano or Iberico)
- 1In a blender or food processor, combine 4 ripe tomatoes (cored and roughly chopped), 1 clove of garlic (peeled), 1 cup of day-old bread (cubed), 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar, and ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil.
- 2Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- 3Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill.
- 5Serve the salmorejo chilled, garnished with diced hard-boiled eggs and slices of cured ham (such as Serrano or Iberico).
- 6Chef's Tip: For an extra touch of flavor, drizzle a little olive oil on top of each serving and sprinkle with a pinch of paprika or chopped fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
Salmorejo, a chilled soup hailing from the sunny region of Andalusia. With its vibrant color, creamy texture, and delightful blend of flavors, Salmorejo is the perfect dish to cool you down during hot summer days. Join us as we dive into the recipe and discover the secrets to creating this refreshing Spanish delight.
Salmorejo is made using a simple yet flavorful combination of fresh ingredients. Ripe tomatoes, garlic, day-old bread, sherry vinegar, and extra-virgin olive oil are blended together to create a velvety base that is both tangy and satisfying. The addition of bread gives Salmorejo its creamy texture, making it a hearty and refreshing soup.
After blending the ingredients, chilled in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours. This step allows the flavors to meld together while ensuring the soup is served refreshingly cold. When ready to serve, garnish the Salmorejo with diced hard-boiled eggs and slices of cured ham, such as Serrano or Iberico, to add a touch of richness and visual appeal.
Salmorejo is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various settings. Serve it as a light and refreshing appetizer at summer gatherings or as a centerpiece for a Mediterranean-inspired meal. Its vibrant color and creamy consistency make it an impressive starter that will captivate your guests’ taste buds.
As you savor each spoonful of Salmorejo, the flavors of Spain will dance on your palate. The tanginess of the tomatoes, the subtle bite of garlic, and the richness of the olive oil transport you to the sun-drenched streets of Andalusia. This authentic Spanish dish captures the essence of Mediterranean cuisine in every delightful spoonful.
Embrace the flavors of Spain with Salmorejo, a refreshing and satisfying chilled soup that brings a taste of Andalusia to your table. Whether you’re seeking a light summer appetizer or a vibrant addition to your Mediterranean feast, Salmorejo is sure to impress. So, gather the freshest ingredients, blend them to perfection, and indulge in the creamy goodness of this authentic Spanish delight. ¡Buen provecho!