- 2 cupMasa Harina
- 1 tspSalt
- 1 ½ cupWater (warm)
- Toppings: You can choose from a variety of toppings to customize your sopes. Some popular options include:
- Refried beans, cooked and seasoned meat (such as shredded chicken or beef), shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream, and salsa (optional).
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of masa harina, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 ½ cups of warm water. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- 2Divide the dough into small balls, approximately 2 inches in diameter.
- 3Using a tortilla press or the bottom of a heavy skillet, flatten each ball into a thin round disc.
- 4Heat a griddle or a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the sopes for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned and cooked through.
- 5Remove the sopes from the heat and let them cool slightly.
- 6Once cooled, create a rim around the edges of each sope by pinching the dough with your fingers.
- 7In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Cook the sopes for an additional 1-2 minutes on each side to crisp them up.
- 8Remove the sopes from the skillet and let them cool completely before adding toppings.
Sopes traditional corn-based appetizers are a beloved staple in Mexican cuisine. With their golden, crispy exterior and a variety of savory toppings, Sopes are sure to tantalize your taste buds. Join us on a flavorful journey as we explore the art of making authentic Sopes.
Sopes are made from masa harina, a traditional corn flour used in Mexican cooking. The dough is mixed with warm water and salt, then shaped into small balls and flattened to form a thin round disc. These discs are cooked on a griddle until they develop a delightful golden crust. The result is a base that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, creating a perfect canvas for the toppings.
One of the joys of Sopes lies in the wide range of toppings you can choose from. Start with a smear of refried beans for a rich and creamy base. Then, let your creativity shine by adding cooked and seasoned meat such as shredded chicken or beef. Top it off with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream, and a drizzle of salsa for an explosion of flavors and textures.
Making Sopes is an adventure that brings people together. From shaping the dough to selecting and arranging the toppings, it’s an immersive experience that allows you to connect with Mexican culinary traditions. The process is as enjoyable as the end result, with each bite transporting you to the streets of Mexico, where the aroma of authentic street food fills the air.
Sopes are versatile and suitable for various occasions. Serve them as appetizers at parties or as a fun and interactive option for family gatherings. Their handheld nature makes them great for casual get-togethers or even as a unique addition to your game day spread. No matter the occasion, Sopes are guaranteed to impress your guests and leave them craving more.
Embrace the flavors of Mexico and embark on a culinary journey with our authentic Sopes recipe. These savory corn-based appetizers offer a delightful combination of textures and flavors that will transport you to the heart of Mexican cuisine. So gather your ingredients, get creative with your toppings, and savor the deliciousness of these traditional delights. Buen provecho!